The Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the water
spout.
Down came the rain and washed the
spider out.
Then out came the sun and dried up all
the rain,
and the Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the
spout again.
This is my life right now. The weather
is quite predictable in its own unpredictable way. The mornings start
out just about the same; sun shining, the air is cool and the ground
is dry. Then somewhere between 2pm-4pm, the weather changes to
anything between a light drizzle to a full onslaught of a super cell.
Then somewhere between 15 minutes to an hour and a half, the light
drizzle/super cell will stop and the sun will return to dry up all
the rain. And the Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the spout again.
Soon I will start my training as a
character attendant in Magic Kingdom! I will have to be trained at
all the parks to be sure I can properly keep Disney's icons safe and
sound. No one wants to meet Minnie if shes sad and crying! (Well,
maybe if they want to give her a hug and make her feel better). I am
super excited for my role and I know I can perform well onstage.
Aside from training for the experience
of the internship, I have also started my two classes now. Yesterday
and every Monday for the next 9 weeks I will have Experiential
Learning and today and every Tuesday for the next 9 weeks I will have
Human Resource Management. Both of my professors are very sweet and
absolutely love their jobs. You can see it in their eyes! There are
some crazy fun assignments that I have to do, which I may elaborate
on later as they unfold. I think I am going to thoroughly enjoy both
of these classes and hopefully the other two classes I will be taking
next term for the fall.
With all the official stuff out of the
way, I can happily say that my buddy and I are settling in quite
well. We have gotten into the routine of which buses to take to get
to the stores, which buses to take to get to the various parts of
each of the parks and for the most part, we get along with our
respective roommates and the others' as well! As for me personally,
there were a few hiccups amongst my roomies and the apartment. We
need to set a cleaning schedule and need a few things for the
bathroom that we share. On the micro-level, me and my roommate (there
are 2 per room in this 3 room apartment) get along quite well. She
likes to spend her time gaming just like me, so we are both
practically on our computers in our leisure. I have also found time
to read some more, which I cherish at the beginning of my training. I
am sure that once I get to working and classes start to pick up, I
won't have nearly as much free time as I do now.
Now that I am getting acclimated to the
routine of work, classes, shopping on the bus, the Disney Look, the
many Disney Guidelines and life with 5 other people, I can honestly
say that I can blatantly see that there are some people here who I am
meant to help. There are also people here who are meant to help me.
There is so much learning I want to do as well as teaching that I
want to show. As big as Disney is for me right now, I don't want to
lose sight of how much bigger Christ is in my life, wherever I am.
Whenever I get the chance, I still wear my oversized cross and
everyday I wear my scripture ring. Despite the information overload I
am experiencing, I want to somehow remember to keep Christ in the
middle of it all, not pushed off to the side. That being said, my
eyes have been opened to many volunteer opportunities linked with
being in the Disney College Program, which all sound super amazing
and fun. Though these programs and trips are the obvious ways to
serve Christ and help people all the time, I get this pinching
feeling in my heart that there is something much bigger that I am
supposed to help with. Perhaps not something as big as say changing
something within the company, but something a bit closer to
home-base. Just about everyday, I see people who live and fill their
lives with something harmful (alcohol, gossiping, health
carelessness, etc.) and wonder why they still feel empty. They know
there is something missing, but instead of taking a step back to see
what it is, they continue to fill up with these attributes they don't
need. I may not know what their lives were like before they came
here, but I can spot an empty person when I see one (usually). That
being said, I don't mean to imply that I haven't met anyone who
doesn't have Christ in their life or at least have some form of
focus/care for their health and future. It just so happens that many
of the people that I see here are rather reckless and carefree in a
negative way. Drinking and smoking and drinking and smoking until you
pass out is not the healthiest way to spend one's day off. I think
anyone can agree to that on some level.
One reason why I can believe that I am
here for a reason is because, if one does a little research, you will
find out that Vista Way Apartment complexes, where I currently live,
is considered one of the “best places to get laid, next only to the
Playboy Mansion” according to quite a few articles and websites.
This place has also gained a nickname, being called Vista “Lay”
instead of Vista Way. To me, that's scary. Here I am, smack-dab in
the middle of this place! Although, personally, I don't think God
could have put me in a better place to shine His light. He loves His
children but let's face it, we are reckless and don't think too far
ahead into the future at this age. A large group of
twenty-somethings, extra spending money and very few classes to
attend is a mixture for impulsive, instant self-gratifying behavior
which can have dire consequences in the long run and even in the
moment. I could have chosen to be in a Wellness apartment (Chattam
Square or Patterson Court) with the folks who are under 21, but at
that age there is a whole different type of drama (*cough* HIGH
SCHOOL *cough) that I'm not sure I could deal with on a semi-daily
basis. Then again, we pick and choose our battles, to some extent...
Though I have time to spend here, I
don't want to waste time helping people. For now, I will bide my time
and wait for the right moments. A good message delivered at the wrong
moment will not be received well. God is shaping my heart and my
words to those I need to speak and I know He will always guide me. I
will follow the guidelines set forth for me and with a smile on my
face and Christ in my heart, I want everyone to have a magical day!
No comments:
Post a Comment